Insider tips for Bonn from Hotel Astoria
Breakfast and art: my suggestion for the perfect start of the day
The most important meal of the day should obviously be breakfast! Here you’ll find everything the heart could wish for: beyond various breads and rolls, sausage and cheese, muesli and fresh fruits, we offer our guests selected coffee specialties including café au lait and espresso as well as special sorts of tea. We attach great importance to seasonal, regional, and fair trade products. After hearty refreshment, it’s all about culture and arts: from here, Bonn’s Museum Mile is a fifteen minutes walk across the Kessenich district. The Bundeskunsthalle shows there various, yet consistently high-scale, exhibitions. My suggestion: climb on the roof featuring a great terrace with a view. During summer, there are moreover great events such as concerts or open air cinema.
More glamorous than it sounds: lunch at “SPEISESAAL“
For dinner, you may stay on site: the “SPEISESAAL“ of the Bundeskunsthalle offers ever-changing plats du jour and delicious Rhineland specialties. Be undeterred by the restaurant’s name – this location is more glamorous than it sounds and has multiple awards (SlowFood and VARTA Restaurant Guide) for its excellent cuisine. When the weather is fine, the museum’s courtyard is truly recommendable. Further advantage: after such refreshment, you may pay a visit to adjacent Haus der Geschichte (House of the history of the FRG).
A stroll across Bonn – with sweet “calories forge“
The afternoon is perfectly suited for a thorough discovery of the city of Bonn. You start from the Museum Mile towards city center – either via Willy-Brand-Allee, passing by Palais Schaumburg, Museum König, and Villa Hammerschmidt, or with a little detour along the Rhine banks. Both ways lead to Stadtgarten and Alter Zoll where visitors find a beer garden in the summer and a skating rink in wintertime. Perfect for a stopover! Through the archway of the university, you reach the city center. The pedestrian zone features numerous shops inviting to an extended shopping tour. My suggestion: try a coffee with a cake at Pâtisserie Dehly & deSander on Thomas-Mann-Straße! It’s small but mighty and extremely delicious – it is not by chance that this place is also called “inconspicuous calories forge”…
Dinner at legendary Brauhaus
For a stylish dinner in Bonn, there is of course one single venue: Brauhaus Bönnsch! In fair weather, people sit outdoors, at lower temperatures, in the atmospheric interior. Rhineland specialties and homebrewed beer ensure the perfect framework for a stylish conclusion of a beautiful vacation day.
Vaudeville and open-air: my suggestions for the evening
In the evening too, Bonn has plenty to offer, according to weather and season. In summertime, I would recommend a concert on Kunstrasen or in the summer garden of the Rhine wetlands where people listen to various genres ranging from classic to rock in an idyllic ambiance. Theater lovers will highly appreciate the newly inaugurated Varieté GOP and can finally enjoy there a drink at the piano bar.
- Museum Mile Museumsmeile, Bonn, Germany
- Bundeskunsthalle Bundeskunsthalle, Friedrich-Ebert-Allee, Bonn, Germany www.bundeskunsthalle.de/en/home.html
- Restaurant Speisesaal Restaurant Speisesaal, Friedrich-Ebert-Allee, Bonn, Germany
- Haus der Geschichte Haus der Geschichte Bonn, Willy-Brandt-Allee, Bonn, Germany
- Palais Schaumburg Palais Schaumburg, Adenauerallee, Bonn, Germany
- Museum König Museum Koenig, Adenauerallee, Bonn, Germany
- Villa Hammerschmidt Villa Hammerschmidt, Adenauerallee, Bonn, Germany
- Stadtgarten Stadtgarten, Am Hofgarten, Bonn, Germany
- Alter Zoll Alter Zoll, Brassertufer, Bonn, Germany
- Universität Universität Bonn, Bonn, Germany
- Patisserie Dehly & DeSander Dehly&deSander Pâtisserie, Thomas-Mann-Straße, Bonn, Germany
- Brauhaus Bönnsch Brauhaus Bönnsch, Sterntorbrücke, Bonn, Germany
- Kunstrasen KUNST!RASEN, Charles-de-Gaulle-Straße, Bonn, Germany
- GOP Varieté GOP Varieté-Theater Bonn, Karl-Carstens-Straße, Bonn, Germany
Bundeskunsthalle, Friedrich-Ebert-Allee, Bonn, Germany