Insider tips for Passau from Hotel Residenz
Passau on foot and by ship
Start your perfect day in Passau with a stroll across the dreamy alleys of the baroque city center. Tired of walking, you may then relax during a diverting city tour by boat – the “Three Rivers” Sightseeing Tour. From the Danube bank, you‘ll reach Residenzplatz with its splendid patrician houses. Tip: Don’t fail to have a look at the old court pharmacy still featuring its original furniture!
Organ pipes and cannons
Afterwards, pay a visit to St. Stephan’s Cathedral situated on the highest point of the historic city. During a half-hour concert on the largest still playable church organ of the world – a must of any Passau trip –, you may admire the magnificence of the largest baroque church north of the Alps.
At lunchtime, enjoy the very best delicacies of the regional cuisine in a garden shaded by grapevines at tradition-rich “Heilig-Geist-Stiftschenke“. After a inspiring stroll across the generous pedestrian zone, you may take the shuttle bus up to the Veste Oberhaus. From there, you’ll enjoy the most beautiful view over the confluence of the three rivers: the “black” Ilz, the “green” Inn, and the “blue” Danube. At Oberhausmuseum, you can marvel at the old cannons used in the 13th century by the prince-archbishop to shell his town until the rebelling citizens capitulated. Back in town, Sello’s Caffé Bar Centrale with its original Italian air is the ideal place to get into the mood for a wonderful evening.
Cuisine, culture, and cabaret
As to evening activities, you are spoilt for choice: you may either walk along the picturesque Inn promenade and via “Fünferlsteg” to the Restaurant “Culinarium“ offering refined Mediterranean cuisine. Or attend good cabaret at Scharfrichterhaus, for more than 40 years a benchmark of Passau’s minor arts and culture scene. We also recommend the guided tours by night where you can experience an informative, yet hilarious, time journey to historical buildings and art monuments with Passau’s “Stadtfuchs”. No matter what you opt for: for the conclusion of your perfect day, make sure to enjoy a good glass of wine accompanied by the gentle sounds of classic music in the library of your Hotel Residenz.
- “Three Rivers” Sightseeing Tour Rathausplatz, Passau, Germany www.donauschiffahrt.de/dreifluesse-stadtrundfahrt-in-passau/?lang=en
- Residenzplatz Residenzplatz, Passau, Germany
- St. Stephan’s Cathedral St. Stephan's Cathedral, Domplatz, Passau, Germany
- Heilig-Geist-Stiftschenke Heilig-Geist-Stiftschenke und Stiftskeller, Heiliggeistgasse, Passau, Germany
- Oberhausmuseum Veste Oberhaus, Passau, Germany
- Sello's Caffé Bar Centrale Rindermarkt 7, 94032, Passau, Germany www.facebook.com/Sellos-Caff%C3%A8-Bar-Centrale-626028084183789/
- Innpromenade Innpromenade, Passau, Germany
- Restaurant „Culinarium“ Restaurant Culinarium Passau
- Scharfrichterhaus Scharfrichter Haus, Milchgasse, Passau, Germany
- "Stadtfuchs" Glasmuseum Passau, Schrottgasse, Passau, Germany
- Hotel Residenz Hotel Residenz, Passau, Germany
“Three Rivers” Sightseeing Tour
Rathausplatz, Passau, Germany
Heilig-Geist-Stiftschenke und Stiftskeller, Heiliggeistgasse, Passau, Germany
Sello's Caffé Bar Centrale
Rindermarkt 7, 94032, Passau, Germany