Insider tips for Salzburg from Der Salzburger Hof
Andrea & Marius Donhauser: “Our perfect day in Salzburg!“
Our perfect day starts with a breakfast at our hotel: here our guests enjoy a copious buffet featuring numerous regional products and specialties. After such refreshment, we recommend a stroll along Salzach River (make a stop at Müllnersteg, one of the city’s best photo locations with an amazing view over the historic center) toward Mirabell Palace with its picturesque garden. After a short visit paid to Mozart’s house, cross the Salzach via Makartsteg; next to the museum named “Haus der Natur“, start the Mönchberg Hill lift ride. From there, you’ll enjoy a wonderful view over the whole city of Salzburg, an experience you should combine with a morning coffee at M32. Then descend to the Horse Well, along Hofstallgasse and by the world-renowned Festspielhaus with the “House for Mozart” and Felsenreitschule as well as Franciscan Church, Domplatz and Kapitelplatz squares. You have now reached the heart of Salzburg.
Our suggestion: lunch at a landmark of Salzburg
Your lunch stop should be on the way to Hohensalzburg Fortress: Stieglkeller is a true landmark of Salzburg. When the weather is fine, sit down in the pub garden offering a perfect view over the inner-city. We recommend going the traditional way: with a cool Salzburg Stiegl beer, opt for a Wiener schnitzel with parsley potatoes and, as dessert, “Salzburger Nockerl” ranking among the best ever.
Sightseeing-to-go and delicious snacks by the wayside
After visiting the fortress, return to the historic center via several worth-seeing places such as Residenzplatz and Mozartplatz with its monumental Mozart statue. Via Judengasse, you reach busy Getreidegasse with Mozart’s birthplace and numerous passages. And by the way, this stroll leads to a lot of culinary highlights: for those wanting some spicy food, a short stop by the “Balkan Grill“ stand is a must (the bosna sausage originates from here!). Those preferring some sweets should cross the Salzach again via Makartsteg and enjoy there, on the river bank, apple strudel at Café Bazar or Sacher Cake at Café Sacher with a view over the city. Then go on board of the Salzach boat “Amadeus“ in the direction of Hellbrunn Palace. At these splendid premises, you’ll find various shooting locations of “The Sound of Music“, the world-renowned musical that plays an important part at our hotel, too. During summer, the park around the palace turns into an amazing sea of flowers. You should not miss the gazebo, the trick fountains, and the impressive stone theater. Late in the afternoon, take the boat back to the historic center.
Artists’ venue with local organic food: our suggestion
Those looking for some refreshment or a snooze should take the bus for a break at the hotel. But you may of course also head for dinner directly: one of our favorite venues is Restaurant Triangel, a true artists’ venue where they serve fresh organic food. Hearty Austrian tidbits are obvious there as well as the typical pastries or creative veggie food.
Nightlife in Salzburg: spoilt for choice
After dinner, you should not miss this view: on the stone terrace, you may enjoy creative cocktails with a fantastic panoramic view over the city. Afterwards, revelers will be spoilt for choice: around busy Anton-Neumayer-Platz, there are various trendy inns & clubs suitable for staying up all night.
- Stone terrace Steinterrasse, Giselakai, Salzburg, Austria
- Restaurant Triangel Restaurant Triangel, Wiener-Philharmoniker-Gasse, Salzburg, Austria www.triangel-salzburg.co.at/#slide-2
- Hellbrunn Palace Schloss Hellbrunn, Fürstenweg, Salzburg, Austria www.hellbrunn.at/en/
- Café Sacher Café Sacher Salzburg, Schwarzstraße, Salzburg, Austria www.sacher.com/en/
- Café Bazar Cafe Bazar Salzburg www.cafe-bazar.at/en/
- Balkan Grill Balkan Grill Walter, Getreidegasse, Salzburg, Austria www.salzburg.info/en/shopping/long-_established_shops/delicacies_and_specialities/balkan_grill
- Mozart's birthplace Mozarts Geburtshaus, Getreidegasse, Salzburg, Austria www.salzburg.info/en/sights/museums_in_salzburg/museums/mozarts_birthplace?isMobile=1
- Stieglkeller Restaurant Stieglkeller, Festungsgasse, Salzburg, Austria www.restaurant-stieglkeller.at/en
- Hohensalzburg Fortress Fortress Hohensalzburg, Mönchsberg, Salzburg, Austria www.salzburg.info/en/sights/fortress_palaces/hohensalzburg_fortress
- Festspielhaus Salzburger Festspielhaus, Hofstallgasse, Salzburg, Austria www.salzburg.info/en/art_culture/event_locations/grosses_festspielhaus
- M32 M32, Mönchsberg, Salzburg, Austria m32.at/
- Mönchsberg Mönchsberg, Salzburg, Austria
- Haus der Natur Haus der Natur Salzburg, Museumsplatz, Salzburg, Austria www.hausdernatur.at/admission-hours-entrance-fees.html
- Mozart's Residence Mozart-Wohnhaus, Makartplatz, Salzburg, Austria www.salzburg.info/en/sights/museums_in_salzburg/museums/mozarts_residence
- Mirabell Palace Mirabell Palace, Mirabellplatz, Salzburg, Austria www.salzburg.info/en/sights/fortress_palaces/mirabell_palace_gardens
Restaurant Triangel, Wiener-Philharmoniker-Gasse, Salzburg, Austria
Schloss Hellbrunn, Fürstenweg, Salzburg, Austria
Café Sacher Salzburg, Schwarzstraße, Salzburg, Austria
Cafe Bazar Salzburg
Balkan Grill Walter, Getreidegasse, Salzburg, Austria
Mozarts Geburtshaus, Getreidegasse, Salzburg, Austria
Restaurant Stieglkeller, Festungsgasse, Salzburg, Austria
Fortress Hohensalzburg, Mönchsberg, Salzburg, Austria
Salzburger Festspielhaus, Hofstallgasse, Salzburg, Austria
M32, Mönchsberg, Salzburg, Austria
Haus der Natur
Haus der Natur Salzburg, Museumsplatz, Salzburg, Austria
Mozart-Wohnhaus, Makartplatz, Salzburg, Austria
Mirabell Palace, Mirabellplatz, Salzburg, Austria